Nourishing. Refreshing. Comforting. Delicious.
This soup is the perfect way to end a cold, damp, rainy day. The Ginger was almost an afterthought but I saw so many recipes online that totally recommended it so I decided to go with it. The mild heat from the Ginger complemented the sweetness from the carrots perfectly.
Carrot + Ginger = The best idea ever!
I didn’t really follow any one recipe but sort of came up with my own variation. Instead of roasting the carrots in the pan with everything else, I decided to roast them in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper for that lovely caramelized taste!
Here’s what you need –
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut in small pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and Pepper as per taste
Let’s get cooking –
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place carrots in a large bowl and drizzle olive oil. Toss to coat and add some salt and pepper. Toss again. Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake, flipping every 15 minutes or so, until tender and browned in spots.
- While the carrots are cooking, heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until brown. Add the ginger and the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat.
- When both the roasted carrots and the broth have cooled somewhat, add the carrots to the broth. Puree the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender directly in the pot. Please make sure your soup has cooled enough before you start blending.
- Place pureed soup over medium heat and return to a simmer. Add some thyme and ground cumin. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Garnish with dried parsley. Serve.
Quick homemade soups are my new favorite meal! 🙂
p.s. This also makes the perfect detox meal after a week long celebration.